Welcome to the Nature Trail! Our goal is to provide show and pet rabbit owners with the information they need to succeed. The 300+ articles on this website are drawn from hands-on experience with both the pretty and the nitty-gritty sides of raising rabbits.
As a little history, the Nature Trail was originally a working rabbitry devoted to Holland Lops. Laurie, who owned the rabbitry, achieved national recognition with her bunnies (many of which you can see in the Gallery of Champions). In late 2003, Laurie launched www.TheNatureTrail.com to show off her bunnies and eventually to help others obtain reliable rabbit information.
The rabbitry closed in 2008, but the website has remained a popular resource for rabbit enthusiasts. Laurie passed the website on to me (Ellyn) in 2011, and now I’m excited to present to you the New Nature Trail: sporting a new look, new features, and more information than even before!
I’d like to thank Laurie for all the work she put into this website; Karen for sending me that certain e-mail; Shirley for helping me figure out some very important technical stuff; and the many other people who have contributed to this project.
I hope to continue to expand the Nature Trail. You can help by offering your comments and suggestions, and even submitting articles and photos for this website. I would like to include more information on various breeds of rabbits, and can always use good rabbit photos. Your rabbit care questions are welcome as well.
Informational Articles on Raising Rabbits
- Bunny Care Info: Covering the bases from basic care, grooming, and FAQ. Articles on clipping teeth, extensive rabbit fur information, how to reduce rabbitry odors, manage rabbitry records, and even bunny photography tips.
- Rabbit Breeding: One of the most extensive sections, this includes both step-by-step instructions for breeding rabbits and more detailed articles on topics such as fostering, getting does to conceive, what to do about retained kits, and more.
- Showing Rabbits: Learn what to expect at an ARBA or 4-H rabbit show, how to prepare, and how to have a good time. Also includes articles on registering rabbits and achieving Grand Championships.
- Health and Feeding: There’s some very quality information in this section on how to choose a good rabbit feed, when to blame the feed for problems, and growing garden food for rabbits. The health section offers advice for preventing GI Stasis, treating vent disease correctly, identifying the cause of rabbit fur loss, and more.
- Gallery of Champions: When it was operating, The Nature Trail Rabbitry’s slogan was “Home of Grand Champions.” This website carries on the legacy of the successful Nature Trail Holland Lops through the Gallery of Champions, as well as showcasing photos and bios of other top-quality rabbits.
- Rabbit Genetics: If there’s one thing this website is known for, it’s the quality information available on color genetics. Highlights include new easy-to-understand primer, a chart of 144 color genotypes, and information on the dwarfing gene.
- Rabbit Links Directory: If you’re a rabbit breeder, you’ve probably got rabbits to sell! A listing in the Nature Trail breeders directory is free. Just send us your info! All links in the directory were believed to be current as of November-December 2011, so don’t worry about finding dead websites. The directory also includes links to helpful rabbit medical websites, rabbit clubs, and internet groups.
And there’s more! Have fun exploring!