Successful rabbit raising requires a good deal of proper equipment. The basics of housing, feeding, watering, grooming, and manure removal must be provided, but there are a number of different options in each area. Are dishes or water bottles better for providing water? What about an automated watering system? Are sliding dropping trays or trenches under the cages better? If you go with pans, should they be metal or durable plastic?
There are a lot of questions, but not only one correct answer. As you progress as a rabbit owner, you will learn what equipment works best for your style and schedule. However, these articles can help you make informed decisions when you are making your original equipment investments.
Which type of equipment have you found to work the best? Wood or metal nest boxes? Clip-on coop cups, C-rings or J-clips? We’d love to hear of your experiences that can help out other breeders, so feel free to send us your tips and opinions or a product review!
Note: We are still adding to this section of The Nature Trail. The green titles below are active links. The other articles are written, but I just have not uploaded them yet. We’re still in the midst of rebuilding this site and will get it done soon! In the meantime, you can find these articles on the old Nature Trail blog.
- A Well-Stocked Bunny Barn. A extensive list of equipment, aids, and accessories that come in handy for successful rabbit breeder.
- How to Build All-Wire Cages. Step-by-step instructions and plans for building all-wire hanging cages.
- Rabbitry Managment Computer Programs. Software for printing pedigrees and helping you keep track of management.
- Build Your Own Rabbit Nest Boxes. Plans and instructions for building your own plywood rabbit nest boxes. You can get 10 boxes from one sheet of plywood!
- The ARBA Standard of Perfection. Information about this book published by the American Rabbit Breeders Association that describes the ideal show rabbit of every recognized breeds.
- If I Could Build My Barn Again. Ideas for constructing the picture-perfect (and practical!) rabbitry barn.
- Automatic Watering Systems in the Rabbitry. The pro’s and con’s of using an automatic watering system in the rabbitry. The author has used both flexible tubing and rigid PVC systems to bring water to her rabbits and shares her experiences.
- That’s a Crock! The value of using ceramic crocks or clip-on dishes to supply your rabbit with food and/or water, as opposed to bottles. Some times are better than others.
- The Use of J-Feeders in the Rabbitry. Detailed article about using the popular self-filling J-feeders with rabbits. Their advantages are numerous! Includes information on wide-mouth, Fine X, and more.
- Other Helpful Rabbit Publications. Would you like to sit down with a guide to rabbit coat color genetics? Learn how to win 4-H showmanship? How to raise guinea pigs for show? Here are some publications that can get you off on the right foot.
- Cage Dividers. Should you use wire or solid dividers between your rabbit cages? Here’s a discussion on that topic that includes some ideas you may not have thought of before!
- Using a Mister System to Cool a Rabbitry. “We installed a misting system inside the barn this summer. Several people have asked how I like it. The truth is that I love it and I hate it.” Read all about the pros and cons.
- Tools of the Trade. A handy-dandy description of some of a successful rabbit breeder’s most useful tools.
- Bunny Christmas Presents. Toys and treats your rabbits may enjoy on a special occasion.
- Nest Box Warmers. Keeping babies warm in the winter is one of the biggest challenges a rabbit breeder can face. We resort to heaters, lamps, and tricks like bringing the babies in the house for the night. Can an electric nestbox warmer be part of your solution?
- Ready for Fall. Helpful reminders to get your gear in shape for the fall show and convention season!
Photo on this page by Lauren Nicholas.